Sunday, September 15, 2024

Greenburgh Insider: Town of Greenburgh: Irvington HS student recalls pedestrian accident when he was in 3rd grade--sidewalk wanted on Taxter.


Link to Sebastian's presentation to Town Board Town Board approves funding for sidewalk on Taxter Road--sidewalk is currently being designed.

Earlier this year Sebastian Sage, an Irvington High School student, wrote me the following e mail highlighting a horrible experience he had in 3rd grade when he was hit by a car. Sebastian wanted to lobby the Town Board to fund a sidewalk on Taxter Road.


I invited Sebastian to speak to the Greenburgh Town Board. He spoke to the Board on Wednesday evening, September 11th, 2024. At that meeting the Town Board approved a resolution authorizing the issuance of $1,100,000 bonds to pay the cost of the construction of sidewalks at various locations-including Taxter Road. The sidewalk is currently being designed. We anticipate that the sidewalk will be constructed towards the end of next year –definitely will be completed in 2026. The link to the presentation and Town Board comments are below. Sebastian’s e mail to me is also posted.  Since 2017 the town has built or secured funding for almost 12 miles of new sidewalks. We will work hard to make our town much more pedestrian friendly. Sebastian's comments highlight the importance of the sidewalk initiative. We want to prevent accidents, serious injuries, and deaths.


PAUL FEINER

Greenburgh Town Supervisor

 

https://youtu.be/e7diJoB91lk

 

My name is Sebastian Sage and I was hit by a car on Taxter Road when I was in 3rd grade. The effects of this event cannot be described in words. The challenges and hurdles I had to overcome often seemed impossible and was an extremely traumatic event in my life.


Unfortunately, this story is not uncommon on this road. The countless horrifying stories that have been told to me leaves me in shambles. From kids breaking bones to other kids dying, I realized something needs to be done.

 

Recently, I have noticed that multiple people have had to walk on Taxter Road since there is no sidewalk. Seeing this reminds me of the past and scares me to think that even more people could have the same outcome as me. On Taxter Road, there are many kids and adults who need to walk along the road. Whether it is walking home from your bus stop, or walking your dog, the dangers of Taxter Road are unimaginable.

 

I have now entered high school and realize that I only have so much time left here in the town of Greenburgh. I promised myself that I needed to help my community in any way possible before I inevitably leave for college.

 

Now that I have filled you in on my story and a little about who I am, here’s my idea. A simple sidewalk along Taxter Road. By installing this, people who are walking along the road, as well as drivers, understand where people are at all times. As you know, Taxter Road is very narrow and has multiple blind spots. Accordingly, drivers may need to swerve violently at times in case of an emergency that could cause a lot of harm to the driver too. It is also very hard to see people at night and this is a major problem. By installing a sidewalk, I think we could save the lives of the people of Greenberg and prevent accidents.

 

Please let me know your thoughts on this topic and let me know when we can have a conversation in person.   I would be happy to come by your office to discuss how I can contribute.

 

Warm regards,

Sebastian Sage

 

sebastian.sage111@gmail.com

 

https://youtu.be/e7diJoB91lk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greenburgh Insider: Edgemont sufficiency petition hearing tonight at 7:30 P.M.

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that a petition for the incorporation of the Village of Edgemont, New York has been received by the Town of Greenburgh. A...