Saturday, April 30, 2022

Greenburgh Insider: 48th year of Bicycle Sundays resumes tomorrow: May 1.

 


I proposed the idea 48 years ago.

Please wear your bicycle helmet. Head injuries could be life threatening.

Forty eight years ago (when I was still a student) I served as a member of Westchester County Executive Al DelBello's Bikeway Committee. I was previously the chair of the Task Force for Bikeways in Westchester which successfully lobbied the Board of Legislators to approve the first bikeway in Westchester on the Bronx River Parkway.  Al DelBello was an amazing public servant - someone who encouraged young people to get involved. He made students feel important, listened to our ideas and made us feel good about democracy. 


I suggested that the county close the Bronx River Parkway for cyclists on Sundays. The Task Force agreed. And County Executive DelBello immediately said yes to the idea.  Bicycle Sunday's continues to be one of the most popular recreation programs in Westchester and resumes tomorrow - Sunday, May 1st from 10 AM to 2 PM.   48 years of Bicycle Sundays --a great day for every participant.


Enjoy Bicycle Sundays. And, if see me on my bicycle tomorrow or on any Bicycle Sunday say - please say hello.   And-------PLEASE WEAR HELMETS. Last year I was diaappointed that so many cyclists weren't wearing bicycle helmets. Over the years I have seen cyclists fall, get injured. Head injuries can be life threatening.


2022 Bicycle Sunday Dates


10a.m. – 2p.m.



May 1, 8, 15, 22

June 5, 12, 19, 26

September 11, 18, 25



Oct 2


PAUL FEINER

Greenburgh Town Supervisor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greenburgh Insider: Bicycle Sundays tomorrow--celebrating our 50th year.

One of my proudest accomplishments was proposing to the county that they close the Bronx River Parkway for cyclists in 1974. Celebrating our...